[Burichan] [Futaba] [Nice] [Pony]  -  [WT]  [Home] [Manage]

Report completed threads!

[Catalog View] :: [Archive] :: [Graveyard] :: [Rules] :: [Discussions] :: [Wiki]

[Return] [Entire Thread] [Last 50 posts]
Posting mode: Reply
Name
Email
Subject   (reply to 953696)
Message
File []
Embed   Help
Password  (for post and file deletion)
  • Supported file types are: GIF, JPG, MP3, MP4, PNG, SWF, WEBM
  • Maximum file size allowed is 20000 KB.
  • Images greater than 250x250 pixels will be thumbnailed.
  • Currently 3924 unique user posts. View catalog

File 157928154476.png - (119.67KB , 800x800 , FQ OP.png )
953696 No. 953696 ID: 8288d0

It was just another day at Research Station 14 when it happened. You, a CryoCool Technologies FB-4 Fridgebot, were chilling delightful treats and delicious meals when you suddenly felt your compressor blow! You must find a replacement for the part before the scientists return from their marathon karaoke session to find their food ruined. Normally you would simply auto-alert the CryoCool Tech Repair Service, but you can't get through! A quick shake of your torso confirms your worst fears: that jerk Simon thought it would be hi-larious to hide your limbs around the research station.

All is not lost, though. You can still get around by shifting your weight, and you have a powerful magnet in your doors. Lastly, you can open and close your doors, or freeze objects with an icy blast from your interior - but you can only do this 5 times before you don't have enough residual cold to do so without harming the food.

Where do you go first?

This is a micro-quest. It will end either on the 25th, when Fridgebot gets too warm, or when Fridgebot successfully receives a new compressor, whichever comes first. My aim is to update every day, albeit possibly at weird intervals.
21 posts omitted. Last 50 shown. Expand all images
>>
No. 953803 ID: 8288d0
File 157936950524.png - (67.39KB , 800x600 , FQ 6.png )
953803

With an almighty bang you break through the storage shed's front door, sending you to the ground. Wobbling yourself back to a standing position, you demagnetise your doors to let the sled clatter to the floor. There's a few items that look as though they may be of use here - you can probably knock them down with your bulk and catch them with your magnets:
A) An experimental high powered fan.
B) A hammer
C) Something else (Write-in!)?

In the interests of fairness unless there's a majority for using it Fridgebot won't use his ice blast ability. For clarity's sake, if you write in the object doesn't necessarily have to be in this update's image. Just make sure it's not anything too complicated to draw!
>>
No. 953804 ID: 3ce8ff

>>953803
those armlike things behind the oil can thing
>>
No. 953805 ID: e7c7d3

What's that hiding behind the oil? Are those arms? Get them down and check them out.
>>
No. 953807 ID: e51896

Retrieve arms from behind oil can
>>
No. 953811 ID: 8288d0
File 157937442501.png - (68.97KB , 800x600 , FQ 7.png )
953811

A glint from above catches your optical sensors: it's your arms! So that's where Simon hid them! Well, suck it, Simon, because your "wacky" and "zany" antics have been foiled! Admittedly there's still the problem of your legs to deal with, but at least you no longer have to hope for the best.

Your arms are capable of extending and retracting, and are highly flexible and strong! You're not quite sure why CryoCool Technologies thought a Fridgebot would need such versatile limbs, but you could hug the chief designer right now for their foresight. Is there anything else you wish to take from the storage shed, and how will you get across the ice back to the research station?
>>
No. 953814 ID: e7c7d3

Take the experimental fan. Maybe it's powerful enough to push you along when riding the sled
>>
No. 953815 ID: 3ce8ff

>>953814
seems reasonable
>>
No. 953819 ID: a9af05

>>953814
This could work.

Make sure you give Sensebot a warning to get out of the way!
>>
No. 953820 ID: b1b4f3

What's in the box?
>>
No. 953930 ID: 55d3d6
File 157954777129.png - (78.21KB , 800x600 , FQ 8.png )
953930

You grab the fan and place it on the sled. Sure, it's a bit of a jury-rigged solution, but you're a can-do 'bot! However, before you head off to the dorms, you decide to investigate the crate from the same shelf your arms had been on. You take it down, prying it open to find... Neumann Xtra Grip wrenches. Huh. Whilst pondering whether to take one with you, you send a warning to Sensebot that you might be zipping out of the storage shed in a hurry. A moment later you get a confirmatory beep! from Sensebot.

Sorry for not updating yesterday, RL happened! I'm not going to dwell too long on this particular decision point, but it felt wrong to just reveal it and have Fridgebot run off without giving suggesters at least an opportunity to say yay or nay.
>>
No. 953931 ID: e7c7d3

Nah, a can-do bot like you need no stinkin' wrenches!
>>
No. 953933 ID: 470289

You can pop one of the wrenches into your chassis right? No reason not to take it.
>>
No. 953934 ID: 91ee5f

>>953930
Might as well bring it with you. You might end up needing it for something.
>>
No. 953947 ID: 55d3d6
File 157956647288.png - (45.36KB , 800x600 , FQ 9.png )
953947

Your can-do spirit counts for a lot, but a trusty tool is always appreciated! Briefly opening your refrigeration compartment, you stuff the wrench inside, being careful not to squash any of the food you carry with it. No-one wants dirty, squashed meals after all. You hop on to your sled and switch on the fan after fiddling with the power settings. With a loud thrum, the fan begins pushing the sled out the door. Soon it gathers speed, and you zip across the ice with nary an issue. Sensebot cheers you on as you rocket up the hill back towards Research Station 14.
>>
No. 953948 ID: 55d3d6
File 157956648041.png - (52.30KB , 800x600 , FQ 10.png )
953948

Welcome to the dormitories! There's a number of rooms here, but the most important are probably Simon's room, Thomas's room, and Albert's room. You're already familiar with Simon, the optics researcher. Thomas is a master at everything to do with electricity. In contrast, Albert has mechanics as his area of expertise. Where to? Of course, if you've changed your mind about visiting the dorms first, you can go directly to the labs.

...And oh hey, there's the Janitron. You wondered why all the broken glass was gone from the main hallway. He looks kinda mad.
>>
No. 953949 ID: e7c7d3

Give the Janitron a pacifying pat on the head. I'd say check Albert's room. A mechanic might have a compressor.
>>
No. 953955 ID: b1b4f3

>>953948
See if Albert's in to help you with your problem.
>>
No. 953958 ID: 91ee5f

>>953948
Ask the Janitron why he’s upset? Did that jerk Simon also steal his limbs?
>>
No. 954013 ID: 55d3d6
File 157964117594.png - (58.88KB , 800x600 , FQ 11.png )
954013

Yeah, Albert's room is probably a good place to start, you decide; he's probably not in unless he decided to leave the karaoke marathon early, but he might have left something of use. You just have to get past Janitron first. As you approach, you query him as to whether Simon decided to hide his limbs too like the cad he is or - hey ow quit it! It's pretty clear he's still fully functional as he begins spraying you with his water hose attachment.

Apparently he's displeased with you breaking the main hallway's window and creating more work for him when the lab's already in a mess. You try to explain that it was necessary because of your blown compressor but he just won't listen!
>>
No. 954014 ID: b1b4f3

>>954013
Sincerely apologize. It was a hasty and ill-thought maneuver.
>>
No. 954016 ID: a9af05

>>954014
This.
>>
No. 954028 ID: e7c7d3

Freeze-blast him. He's fully functional and is preforming his job. He's also delaying you from becoming functional and preforming your job. I'm pretty sure that's breaking some robotic codes there.
>>
No. 954035 ID: 55d3d6
File 157965616038.png - (53.05KB , 800x600 , FQ 12.png )
954035

You strongly consider freeze blasting the Janitron or at least his hose for his bad temper (not to mention violently impeding a robot going about their lawful function as defined in the Malmo Accords - the nerve!), but think better of it. You wait for the flow to slacken and apologise to the Janitron. Sure, it was an emergency, but you could have found a way to prop open the window instead of breaking it. The Janitron seems taken aback by your apology, and asks whether you will avoid such antics in future. Its interrogative carries more than a little suspicion.

You send a confirmation and the now soothed Janitron trundles aside to let you into Albert's room.
>>
No. 954036 ID: 55d3d6
File 157965616947.png - (64.70KB , 800x600 , FQ 13.png )
954036

Albert's room looks much the same as any of the other scientists' room, though he's put up a big poster that was used in an advertising campaign a few years back over his bed. Your optical sensors methodically sweep the room until you see it: a compressor! It's got a note sticky-taped to it and looks to be in good condition, though it appears to be missing something. But what? You feel your CPU slow for a few cycles as you take in the sight.

Besides picking up the compressor and reading the note, is there anything else you'd like to do in here?
>>
No. 954043 ID: a9af05

>>954036
Check the dresser, drawers, and under the bed, just in case Simon came and hid your remaining limbs in here.
>>
No. 954050 ID: 91ee5f

>>954043
Do this.
>>
No. 954064 ID: b1b4f3

Read the note.
>>
No. 954074 ID: e51896

Wear blanket like a cape. Become SUPER FRIDGEBOT
>>
No. 954079 ID: 91ee5f

>>954074
If we’re going to do that, then let’s not use Albert’s blanket. Let’s go into Simon’s room and take his blanket! That jerk took our limbs, so we’ll take his blanket!
>>
No. 954080 ID: cd83ed

>>954036
Check the closet.
>>
No. 954081 ID: 3ce8ff

let's read note
>>
No. 954087 ID: cd83ed

ok let's first check the note and then the closet to make it short. we've got 3 days left
>>
No. 954107 ID: 55d3d6
File 157973425876.png - (74.93KB , 800x600 , FQ 14.png )
954107

You pick up the oddly light compressor and read the note:

Hey, I know you were working on this but I had a brainwave regarding improving the compressor's performance. I've removed the motor for modification; if you need it it's at the robotics workstation in the labs. P.S.: I'm looking forward to seeing your party trick! - Thomas

Thomas is well meaning but it's still frustrating to be so close and yet so far from resolving your compressor problem. It doesn't help that your internal temperature sensors have detected that your interior is getting quite warm relatively speaking. Nevertheless you dutifully store the compressor in your cooling compartment, at least for now. Looking around the room for any sign of your missing legs proves fruitless. Logically you know that it's unlikely Simon had the necessary stamina to lug them all the way into the labs, but that doesn't by itself tell you much. Eh, at least his blanket will probably make a sweet cape for Super Fridgebot, Protector of Earth!
>>
No. 954108 ID: 55d3d6
File 157973427352.png - (52.08KB , 800x600 , FQ 15.png )
954108

You enter Simon's room and immediately take his blanket. Faster than a speeding bullet train, stronger than a million constructionbots, it's Super Fridgebot! Your "cape" doesn't actually grant you any special abilities - you think - but it makes you feel better about your predicament.

Do you still intend to implement your previous plan of holding Simon's stuff hostage and forcing him to spill the beans about your legs' whereabouts?
>>
No. 954109 ID: b1b4f3

>>954108
Maybe you can get on Simon's computer and look for clues as to your legs' whereabouts (or find more leverage against Simon). Also search his room for legs.
How close is the robotics workstation? We should head there next.
>>
No. 954110 ID: e7c7d3

I say blanket stealing is enough. It might take more time to do a hostage situation than to hustle over to the robotics lab for that engine
>>
No. 954169 ID: 3ce8ff

>>954108
can you not use your arms like feet? would probably have better center of mass too if the arms are strong enough. we have a destination for motor to make compressor work again let us depart
>>
No. 954176 ID: 91ee5f

>>954108
Check Simon’s room for your limbs!

>hold Simon’s stuff hostage?
Taking Simon’s blanket is enough for now. You’re running out of time and need to hurry, so let’s head to the Robotics Workstation and find that motor!

You can always come back later to do the hostage thing.
>>
No. 954257 ID: 55d3d6
File 157981637089.png - (39.90KB , 800x600 , FQ 16.png )
954257

You could use your arms as impromptu legs, but it would be rather unstable. It only takes you a moment to decide that for now, at least, you will refrain from taking Simon's trinkets as hostages - after all, if he decides to continue being a jerk you can always do it later. However, you will give his computer a brief look to see if it can hint at your legs' whereabouts.

...There's a text file called "READ THIS FRIDGEBOT" on his desktop. Taking a moment to consider whether it might be a trick, you open it.

If you're reading this, 1) obviously my cunning has proven too much for you, and 2) what are you doing in my room? Go on, shoo! Scoot! I don't want you breaking anything (don't you know how hard it is to get Questin merch out here?). But first I'll help you out, because I'm not heartless. ;^)

I've put your ARMS in the STORAGE SHED, behind the oil can and crate of wrenches. Your LEGS are in the LOCKER in the hallway. The password is 1601. Got that? If it makes you feel better I'll even work on some new optics for you after we get back. Never say that Simon doesn't do anything for ya.

You're slightly irritated by Simon's ribbing, but at least you no longer have to hunt around the entire research station.
>>
No. 954258 ID: 55d3d6
File 157981638055.png - (47.89KB , 800x600 , FQ 17.png )
954258

You punch in the passcode Simon's text file gave you, and with a beep the locker swings open to reveal your legs! Super Fridgebot is whole again!

Just like your arms, your legs are retractable and extendable, super strong and flexible. You're not the fastest thing on two legs by a long shot, but that's a small price to pay for no longer having to hop around. You already know where the robotics workstation is, thanks to having ended up there once or twice. Thankfully it's in one of the first rooms in the labs - the appropriately if dully named Robotics Lab.
>>
No. 954259 ID: 55d3d6
File 157981638903.png - (47.20KB , 800x600 , FQ 18.png )
954259

Following the flight of stairs up to the labs, you enter the Robotics Lab. The lab is in a parlous state, with spilled oils, coolants, and other things strewn all over. The compressor's electric motor is right there on the workbench! However, you are not alone. Opposite you is a Paragon Automation Furnacebot. It looks like he's going to steal the compressor! You know vaguely that Research Station 14 was working on one of these for experimental manufacturing purposes.

Noticing your presence, the Furnacebot releases a blast of flame from his interior in an attempt to intimidate you. Unlike the Janitron, you think he can't be persuaded... how will Super Fridgebot deal with this mighty foe?
>>
No. 954261 ID: b1b4f3

You've got the advantage in mobility. Stand at the edge of the oil and extend your arms to grab the compressor. Threaten (or outright smack) Furnacebot with your wrench if he tries anything.
I don't think using a freeze blast will work on him... or maybe it will extinguish his pilot light? Could try that.
>>
No. 954266 ID: 91ee5f

>>954257
>I don't want you breaking anything (don't you know how hard it is to get Questin merch out here?)
That is the first thing we’re going to take hostage.

We’ll also let him know that his stupid prank was impeding you while you were trying to repair your compressor!

>>954259
>The compressor's electric motor is right there on the workbench!
Is it that thing between you and Furnacebot? Or is it that thing behind Furnacebot?

>>954261
This sounds good.
>>
No. 954273 ID: 3ce8ff

>>954259
the cape makes this so much better
extendo to the motor real fast!
>>
No. 954276 ID: e7c7d3

Fridge blast! Ice versus fire!
>>
No. 954344 ID: 55d3d6
File 157989989679.png - (88.00KB , 800x600 , FQ 19.png )
954344

You have a plan. The electric motor for your compressor is on the workbench behind the Furnacebot. Sure, you have to deal with him one way or the other, but you have the mobility advantage. The Furnacebot's spindly limbs can't extend like yours can. As you draw the now-frosty wrench from your cooling compartment, you get ready to hit the Furnacebot with a powerful freezing blast. You'll throw the wrench first to stun him, and then when he's put on ice you'll use your extendable limbs to pinch the compressor motor. Your internal clock tells you that the scientists should be back soon, and they'll be able to fix the Furnacebot before the ice melts.

You take one last glance at your goal, your optics automatically tagging both of your targets...
>>
No. 954345 ID: 55d3d6
File 157989990105.png - (96.50KB , 800x600 , FQ 20.png )
954345

With whiplike speed, you fling the wrench. It hits the Furnacebot right between the eyes. Reeling, he opens his furnace compartment. Seizing the opportunity, you release a freeze blast right into it! Unable to handle such low temperatures, the Furnacebot shuts down, leaving your left arm free to yoink the motor.

Freeze Blasts Remaining: 4/5
>>
No. 954346 ID: 55d3d6
File 157989990639.png - (46.54KB , 800x600 , FQ 21.png )
954346

One quick fix later, and your brand new compressor is working A-OK! Already your internal temperature is dropping; your sensors also note that none of the compartment's contents were harmed. You hurry back to the main hallway, and just in time too! You tell them all about your adventure and the defective Furnacebot.

In recognition of your efforts, the researchers all pitch in to buy you a proper cloak. They even let you join them at the karaoke club! You also give Simon a (toned down) freeze blast for good measure. Soon life returns to normal at Research Station 14, but you will always have fond memories of your adventure.
>>
No. 954347 ID: 55d3d6
File 157989991226.png - (112.88KB , 800x600 , FQ 22.png )
954347

Achievements Unlocked!

An Arm and A Leg: Found all your limbs.

Simon Says: Read Simon's help file.

Negotiator: Found a way to talk down the Janitron.

Super Fridgebot!: Became Super Fridgebot.

Frugal: Used 2 or less freeze blasts.

Just in Time: Successfully repaired your compressor with 24 hours remaining (real time).

Special thanks to you, the suggester! THANK YOU FOR PLAYING!
>>
No. 954348 ID: e7c7d3

Heck ya, rack up those achievements!

Congrats for completing a quest!
[Return] [Entire Thread] [Last 50 posts]

Delete post []
Password  
Report post
Reason