[Burichan] [Futaba] [Nice] [Pony]  -  [WT]  [Home] [Manage]

Report completed threads!

[Catalog View] :: [Archive] :: [Graveyard] :: [Rules] :: [Discussions] :: [Wiki] :: [Discord]

[Return] [Entire Thread] [Last 50 posts] [Last 100 posts]
Posting mode: Reply
Name (optional)
Email (optional, will be displayed)
Subject    (optional, usually best left blank)
Message
File []
Embed (advanced)   Help
Password  (for deleting posts, automatically generated)
  • How to format text
  • Supported file types are: GIF, JPG, MP3, MP4, PNG, SWF, WEBM
  • Maximum file size allowed is 25600 KB.
  • Images greater than 250x250 pixels will be thumbnailed.

File 169638705296.png - (125.58KB , 501x700 , 16-1.png )
1073931 No. 1073931 ID: 706b74

Adult content 18+

First thread: https://tgchan.org/kusaba/quest/res/860238.html
Wiki: https://tgchan.org/wiki/Moot_Point
Previous chapter: https://questden.org/kusaba/quest/res/1049539.html
675 posts omitted. Last 50 shown. Expand all images
>>
No. 1092406 ID: 17abec

This is the sort of place you could get sucked into. But while you're here...

You might as well look for people you know, such as Allayne, Adrian, Clay, Moot, and Muir?
>>
No. 1092411 ID: c38708

>>1092403
But what good is a library if you can't search or narrow results? There might might be a way but there might not..
>>
No. 1092414 ID: 6919a5

>>1092403
Get a hold of yourself Casey. As fun as it would be to look through everything, you don't have the time for it.

You need to continue on with your test to become Guardians!
>>
No. 1092416 ID: eb0a9c

Don't break anything.

Who created all this? The Fates? It's too automated towards mortal interests to be a natural occurrence...
>>
No. 1092437 ID: f01d22

So much knowledge and so many answers, but without a way to find what you're looking for specifically, it's worthless. You'd just be sifting through random memories of random people. It would be best not to fall into the trap of trying to hunt through it all. Remember what we're here for.
>>
No. 1092448 ID: 273c18

>>1092403
Casey we can't stay here. We have to keep moving.
Let it go. Maybe you can come back someday.

I expect that you will be sworn to silence on what is present here, which means you can't use it to find Lord Hekal.

Also, this is definitely where the Fate of Preservation lives.
>>
No. 1092481 ID: 8a1605
File 171763691837.png - (193.58KB , 700x500 , 16-121.png )
1092481

“You could spend a lifetime looking through this place.” Casey does a little spin as she takes in the gallery of memories.

“Uh, but we don’t have a lifetime. They need us back in Moot Point…” Gabe points out.

“Plus, we don’t know how to find anything.” Kol adds. “There’s millions of memories here.”

“Come on! We have to try to find something!” Casey runs her fingers through her hair in exasperation, “You remember what Sifr said: we’re only allowed to make this trip once! It’s our only chance to figure out what happened to Hekal!”

“But… we’d never be able to tell anyone about it, right? We can’t bring any information back!” Gabe sags as futility weighs down his shoulders.

Casey stomps in a circle, huffing with an uncharacteristic fury. This irony, nay injustice to the fields of science and history, sets her teeth on edge in a way rarely seen by Kol or Gabe. She explodes with a shout that rattles the panes around her “WHAT’S THE POINT OF THIS PLACE, THEN?!”

Several cloaked figures turn at the sudden outburst. One of them steps forward and calls to her, “Casey? Is that you?”
>>
No. 1092487 ID: 273c18

>>1092481
Oh, guess we get to find out who the cloaked figures are.
Also Casey, the point of this place is to preserve history. It is a tomb for all the lives that have ever been lived. No one is forgotten, not truly. It's beautiful, in a way, but also dizzying in its scale.
>>
No. 1092493 ID: fa3034

Ground yourself, Casey. Eyes forward, ahead of you. Not behind you, looking into the past.
>>
No. 1092494 ID: 124485

>>1092481
>One of them steps forward and calls to her, “Casey? Is that you?”
Is it possible that one of the many ghosts that you've peacefully Sent here during one of your previous missions is here? Perhaps that's who is calling out to you?

It would be hilarious if it ends up being that one ghost girl that you gave your panties to as she went through the portal!
>>
No. 1092507 ID: 17abec

whatever this place is, it's not for you, Casey. You are visiting a realm that mortals were never supposed to see until the very end. Now get it together and think of the future. All of it could be lost if you linger too long in here.
>>
No. 1092518 ID: 184595

Mom and Dad! They'll be thrilled to see that Casey is carrying on their legacy of scholarship, and that she's so willing to get nerd sniped by history, even in the face of her home's destruction. But perhaps they'll be in a unique position to remind her that this place is not for mortals, and any point it might have is moot as far as mortal knowledge goes.
>>
No. 1092521 ID: a65c0e

The point of this place, whatever that point may be, is for the souls that are here to stay, forever. Not for those that are just visiting for a very limited time.
>>
No. 1092523 ID: 8ddca3

...you should probably inform WHOEVER this spirit is that you are alive and on the... what was it called, was this just called the trial or does this have a name like "senders pilgramige"? either way, a short stay, for better and worse
>>
No. 1092533 ID: eb0a9c

>What is the point of this place?!
Good question, but I think the answer is the same as "what is the point of life":
We don't know yet. But better to have it and not need it.
>>
No. 1092552 ID: 8a1605
File 171772570691.png - (163.36KB , 700x500 , 16-122.png )
1092552

The mouse turns to face the stranger, her cheeks still flushed from the momentary anger. “Wh-who’s there?”

The figure hurries through the sand and removes their hood. A ghostly otter beams back at Casey and pulls her into a hug.

“Allayane? Wh- what’re you doing here?” Casey stammers.

“Waiting for you!” She answers, giving her a very ottery nuzzle. “I was hoping to see you again someday, so I was hanging out here till you passed through!”

“Wait, you knew I was coming?”

Allayane giggles, “Everyone comes through here eventually. I figured it would only be a couple of decades. That’s what pretty much everyone else here is doing.” She waves a hand at the hooded specters. “But look at you! You- you’re still alive? What’re you doing here?”
>>
No. 1092555 ID: 17abec

Aww what a lovely reunion! She's one of the ones that started this whole thing! So it seems like this place is for the people that have already died to find some sort of closure? Anyway, if Allyane is about to go to one of the panes, it's nice that you'll be able to see her off
>>
No. 1092558 ID: 432c98

>>1092552
>Allayne
Hey, it is the ghost girl that Casey gave her panties to! I wonder if she's wearing them right now?

>"But look at you! You- you’re still alive? What’re you doing here?”
Im not sure if we're allowed to say anything.

But if we want to be vague and not give away details of what's going on with the Bargast, we could just tell her that this is part of a test that Spirit Guides take in order to become Spirit Guardians. It's not a lie, since that really is what happens.
>>
No. 1092561 ID: f01d22

>>1092558
We're not allowed to bring information from here back to the mortal plane, but I don't think there's any rules forbidding the other way around. But we should probably keep the explanation simple anyway, just because we really don't have time to relax and reminisce.
>>
No. 1092562 ID: 8ddca3

Spirit guides, that's what we are! and now, it seems, we may well be guided by a spirit. she probably knows how to progress from here, given that all other spirits pass through here.
We have no reason not to tell her, as the dead find it easy to keep secrets... though now I wonder how many other spirit guides do all this because they have to, like we do. maybe even most of them
>>
No. 1092569 ID: 184595

Once again, we have failed to avoid attention. Maybe that's not such a bad thing, though--we could use a pointer or two. If Allayane is waiting for Casey before passing on, maybe we can help fulfill her final final wishes (Fates know what those might be) and ride the hem of her robe as she continues on into the afterlife. We can see the Sending to its completion!
>>
No. 1092611 ID: c572e3

>>1092552
I for one concur with the idea of a ̶f̶o̶u̶r̶s̶o̶m̶e reunion with out ghost friend.
>>
No. 1092612 ID: 273c18

>>1092552
Tell her you're making the pilgrimage to become Guardians, and also to get enough mana to prevent a Barghast from failing and unwillingly releasing an army of undead upon Moot Point.
>>
No. 1092808 ID: 8a1605
File 171806980190.png - (166.15KB , 700x500 , 16-123.png )
1092808

“We’re on our pilgrimage to become Guardians, we have to go to the Sea of Mana. Its part of a test got Spirit Guides before they take on more responsibility. Also the city is counting on us to bring back mana to stop a horde of undead.” Casey shakes her head as the whiplash of seeing the ghost settles in. “Sorry, I’m just taken aback that you would wait here for me! What happened to entering the Sea?”

“ I was going to get around to it, eventually. A lot of people wait here to meet up with someone before going on.” Allayane waves a hand at some of the other robed figures and shouts, “Guys! I found her!” She laughs giddily and continues, “They’re all pretty nice. Also there’s all these lives to look through in the meantime!”

“Yeah, whats up with these? Why record everyone’s life if no one can bring that information back with them?” Casey asks.

The otter thinks and shrugs, “I’m not really sure. Looking through them has been nice… they really helped me better understand my life and all I’ve been through. But if you want to know more, you’d probably have to ask Her.
>>
No. 1092809 ID: fa3034

Well, we are looking for something specific. How do we ask her?
>>
No. 1092810 ID: d54f88

I wonder how is safe and unsafe to say now that I think about it, calling her "Moon" is technically indirect, but I feel will end the same way as naming the "guide"
hey, some people die with burning questions, and there may be ways for information here to escape, such as dreams. probably it is seperating memories from souls so the souls can reincarnate without them
>>
No. 1092812 ID: 273c18

Is it really a good idea to talk to Her? Ask if there's anything you should avoid doing. You think you've figured out you shouldn't say their names...
>>
No. 1092849 ID: 8a1605
File 171815877094.png - (224.46KB , 500x700 , 16-124.png )
1092849

“Right… Her. You mean the Preserver, right?” Casey asks. “I know we’re not supposed to draw too much attention, but how do we go about talking to her?”

Allayane smiles and points behind her, “Oh, she’s been listening the whole time.”

The mice turn and follow her finger, seeing nothing unusual at first. Realization slowly crystallizes, as if they had noticed a tiger’s eyes amid tall grass. A constellation hangs in midair among the spinning assemblage of memories, forming the wings and head of an owl.
>>
No. 1092854 ID: eb0a9c

"DOES P=NP?"
>>
No. 1092857 ID: 273c18

Pay your respects.
>>
No. 1092862 ID: 2a82d3

Yeah, that tracks. If I literally AM the collective memories within both the physical and spiritual planes, I'd ask guests not to take pieces of myself when they leave too. That's just rude.

Can she even talk in words, or does she use panels? If she only uses your memories to communicate, that's a loophole to guide your quest right there.
>>
No. 1092868 ID: 5d0606

>>1092857

I think it's the right way to start. As well as thanking her for her welcome.
>>
No. 1092878 ID: f27a95

so many questions, so little time. we have to ask how to progress and we should ask how to get to the actual, literal moon and back.
We could also ask what it's like, being this
>>
No. 1092879 ID: f27a95

Honestly, we should ask if we can see leucrocotta's memory, if she knew we looked at her she could guess we may look at her memory
>>
No. 1092883 ID: 3b4f14

>>1092879
She would have to be dead for that I think, and we don't know that she is.
>>
No. 1092888 ID: 679f8d

>>1092883
There is someone, however, who reasonably can be expected to be dead and whose memories are relevant and could be here.

Madame Moot.
>>
No. 1092889 ID: 679f8d

>>1092888
Not that we should get sidetracked o’erlong. Pay your respects and don’t linger beyond finding a lead, and the direction of where to head next.

Though do assure your friend you’ll be back some day - and that it was very good to see them again. Give ‘em a hug and a grin.

Casey, teflect that maybe the knowledge still being here at all is the point. That it mattered, and was remembered by someone, something. And it may just help the dead present put perspective on their own existence.
>>
No. 1092896 ID: 7c1f1c

By all means, be as respecful as possible. I'm not sure how easily the Fates take offense, however. If our next encounters will be at all like our first, they may be easygoing, as long as you avoid the taboo pronouncement.

An additional wrinkle, if we want to ask after Tuavara-Malli's memories: is she mortal enough to have passed through here? In that vein, I think that Hekal's would be some of the most valuable memories to sift if we can--I would certainly like to validate Rodwin's hunch that Hekal is still alive, if nothing else. But if Fey don't travel this path, then that line of thinking is instead Moot. She would have been the one to open the portal to the moon, so this might be our opportunity to glimpse what's on the other side in advance. If we can accomplish that easily with the help of the Fate, then I think it would be worth a brief delay. If the process is less than immediate, then I would prioritize speed, and fall back on earthly means to prepare for the moon trip after the present crisis is resolved.
>>
No. 1092926 ID: 8a1605
File 171833147121.png - (173.63KB , 700x500 , 16-125.png )
1092926

“Oh… That… makes sense actually.” Casey says, “You collect memories because you are memories. You remember us even if we move on to other lives…”

The mouse suddenly remembers, “Yes.”

“Oh, wow… that felt weird. Even weirder than talking to Ometra.” Gabe shakes his head, as if dislodging an ear full of water. “Nice to meet you, by the way.”

“Nice to meet you, Gabriel Wikk.”

“Ma’am, if I may: there’s information that would help us a lot that we’re looking for. Can you help us?” Kol asks.

”You wish to see the memories of the First Guardians, correct? You understand that any knowledge found within may never be spoken of or recorded outside of this plane?”

The mice share a look and nod to one another. “Yeah… we can work with that.” Kol says.

“Just out of curiosity: what happens if we do talk about it?” Gabe asks meekly. Kol and Casey swivel to look at him and the Sender responds defensively, “What? No one ever told me that part. I just want to know, okay?”

“Come to think of it, I’ve never heard it mentioned either.” Kol admits.

“Me neither.The Guardians don’t ever talk about it.”

”You would never be allowed to return, even in death.” comes the reply. ”Your soul would forever wander the planes, unable to find peace.”

“Spite me, that seems harsh.” Gabe mutters to himself.

”It is the nature of our arrangement. When the Guardians first came to this place, we shared the means to safely seal the openings between here and the mortal plane. In exchange, they agreed to repair and maintain the barrier around the Ethereal plane. They also agreed to refrain from speaking about what they learned, and that any future members make the same pilgrimage: so that they might understand the importance of their duty.”
>>
No. 1092927 ID: 17abec

hmmm... can you say the things you learn in the ethereal plane if you learn it outside? But also this seems like a very real way to obtain immortality, it's no wonder that the guardians have to be very highly trusted.

I suppose they only stopped you from speaking about what you learned, so if you get the right information, you can simply perform the action without talking about it to anyone.
>>
No. 1092928 ID: 273c18

>>1092926
Hmm. What about the Spite that already exists in the world? It's gradually building up from banishings, and will be a problem some day. Can it be removed?
...what about the first Well, that was sealed improperly? Was that ever fixed? Can it be repaired, if so? It might be that Spite normally goes away over time, but the broken Well is generating too much.

As for the information we seek... well, the problem is we need to tell Rodwin what happened to Lord Hekal. If we can't tell him because we gained that information here, then we've failed. So we need to plan a workaround, with Her guidance to make sure it'll be okay. What if we looked up the info, then confirmed it in the mortal realm? Can we simply tell Rodwin what we confirmed? Or would it be better to look up some information that would lead us in the right direction without being something we'd need to tell Rodwin?
>>
No. 1092934 ID: f27a95

this is starting to get into Fey Law but, can this be spoken to other Guardians who have already traveled here and back, since they already know?
I suppose any other question, well, is about to be answered, no? if not by Preserver then by Creator
>>
No. 1092938 ID: 2a82d3

It seems like standard procedure here is learning about the First Guardians, among other things. Since they wouldn't be of interest to anyone outside your profession, and anyone who's that interested will go here eventually, there would've been no need to share it.

The punishment also makes sense as, coming off of the wars, the second oath is an extension of the first. (Even if knowing too much would wreak havoc on our social life. Memories are meant to be shared.) Still, it's curious. Has anyone been punished like that? If so, was it anyone we heard about, or know?

>>1092934
If there's a common understanding, there should be no need to speak of it. Yeah, I'd say that's pretty Fay-like.
>>
No. 1092939 ID: e40c3a

>>1092938
Speaking of people who might've suffered the punishment, while it may be outside the scope of the narrative, is there a possibility that the Guardians might help them to atone for their offense, and find some sort of redemption?
>>
No. 1092956 ID: debc82

>>1092926

Well, that explains the whole "we can't tell you" bit we keep hearing.

Makes sense, unfortunately, but if we can still act on that knowledge, well ... we're already here, so the oath would apply either way.
>>
No. 1092960 ID: 8a1605
File 171841797147.png - (180.03KB , 500x700 , 16-126.png )
1092960

“Is there anyone who broke the rules?” Kol asks.

”Very few. From my understanding, your people are fairly selective about who is allowed to undertake the journey.” This memory is followed by images of a few unfamiliar and doomed Guardians.

Gabe holds up his hands and asks “Wait, wait, wait… if we learn about what happened to Hekal here, and then confirm it back in the mortal plane, would that still count as breaking the rules?”

”It is considered unwise to act directly upon knowledge learned here, it tends to complicate things. “

“Lichfire… okay, but what if its something we already suspect and confirm it here… fuck, that’s just as bad, isn’t it?”

”Yes.”

“Guys, I’m starting to think looking at the First Guardians' memories might be kind of dangerous.” Gabe tugs on an ear nervously and looks to his partners for comfort. “This is getting into some Fey law type shit.”

“Yeahhhh… it is.” Casey says, seeing the construct of glass in a different light. “How about this: is there a memory you can show us that would give us a hint that we could work around?”

The Fate of preservation extends a wing in her direction, the glass tinkling like a vast and complex chandelier. A single pane slips loose from between her “feathers” and drifts closer.
>>
No. 1092962 ID: 9fea14

I suppose it can be easy, to forget the power of knowledge can be dangerous
not to do but look, maybe hold hands, you three could use the slight comfort
>>
No. 1092963 ID: 273c18

>>1092960
Alright, this should be okay. A memory not picked by us, that will lead us to what we want to know. We can keep quiet about the hint while still finishing the mission.

Just remember, you can't speak of what's in there. Also I guess Casey can't speak of whatever she saw in the memories she looked at earlier either... though I doubt anything in those were notable.
>>
No. 1092965 ID: fa3034

Lean on each other, you have have the support you need.
>>
No. 1092968 ID: eb0a9c

You should ask to have the memories you casually scanned deposited here. You're going to blab about those lost bets and other minor memories otherwise.
[Return] [Entire Thread] [Last 50 posts] [Last 100 posts]

Delete post []
Password  
Report post
Reason