[Burichan] [Futaba] [Nice] [Pony]  -  [WT]  [Home] [Manage]

Report completed threads!

[Catalog View] :: [Archive] :: [Graveyard] :: [Rules] :: [Discussions] :: [Wiki] :: [Discord]

[Return] [Entire Thread] [Last 50 posts] [Last 100 posts]
Posting mode: Reply
Name (optional)
Email (optional, will be displayed)
Subject    (optional, usually best left blank)
Message
File []
Embed (advanced)   Help
Password  (for deleting posts, automatically generated)
  • How to format text
  • Supported file types are: GIF, JPG, MP3, MP4, PNG, SWF, WEBM
  • Maximum file size allowed is 25600 KB.
  • Images greater than 250x250 pixels will be thumbnailed.

File 170863018546.png - (235.76KB , 1295x1295 , 022124_FromNothingTitle.png )
1084137 No. 1084137 ID: 1effd3

From nothing, a new beginning.
322 posts omitted. Last 100 shown. Expand all images
>>
No. 1090466 ID: 031458

Keyword:Garden

Dowse:[Other]->[Ash]

Seeking ashes could lead us to fertilizers, steel, weapons, bones, ruins, building materials, food, cookware, alchemy tools and ingredients, a variety of strange runes, secrets of entropy both grand and terrible, and possibly even survivors of fallen world's.
To seek ashes is to seek the forgotten embers of the warmest of hearths and hottest of fires. The echos of the most brilliant forges and brutal wars. The violence and power of nature's most awesome mountains and man's most terrible hubris.
Ashes whisper the secrets of times long past; They've so much to teach.
>>
No. 1090468 ID: 273c18

>>1090459
Cloth
Streaming
>>
No. 1090473 ID: 8f9bc4

Not the most ideal land expansion for adding new things, but with more space in the middle you can even build a little house. Not that you know how to build a house!
>>
No. 1090475 ID: d87606

Let our keyword be "Healing." We seek to make of our island a scab over this shattered world, and encourage it to once again live and grow. As we have restored the divot in the crescent, may this recovered land purify the toxifruit, and recover their original and nourishing form.

With that as our task, let us stay here, and tend our garden. Rapidly, we see that we are building no simple retreat from which we conduct our sorties, but a place that is alive, and that must shelter and husband a growing ecosystem. Add to it the toxifruit, and harvest the mushrooms.

And continue in your office, Runelearner. You have gained much knowledge lately, which shows glimpses of knowledge yet to come. Once our fledgling habitat has begun to flap its own wings, we must set our sights on determining how the Voidlings create the stuff of your power.
>>
No. 1090481 ID: 2f41db

>>1090459
Im glad silv got a chance to play, even if it was brief.
Not just for the voidlings.
For her too.

...last of the food.
Oh.

That looks like a priority.
May come with storage too.
Dowse for food.

Keyword: enclosed

I would have go with seconding ash because everything said there is accurate and i hope we go in the future but ash is likely to destroy anything edible despite the other wonderful discoveries to be made.
>>
No. 1090746 ID: 1effd3
File 171547632046.png - (178.34KB , 900x750 , 051124_FromNothing80_Silv_is_not_a_chef.png )
1090746

>Check on the mushrooms. Harvest a few, cook them, and see if the voidlings can eat the shrooms safely. Then cook a few more and leave them as dinner.
>Try a mushroom for food.
Come morning(?), Silv wakes, and looks over the island. Naiad has produced a rune while she slept, and the mushroom patch has grown. There are now 5 runes in storage, and the mushroom garden contains 17 mushrooms.
Despite not knowing the first thing about cooking or preparing food, Silv manages to perfectly cook them with her Flare spell. They’ve got a spongy texture and taste a bit better than dirt.

>Work on building storage packs for harvesting more stuff
”I don’t have anything to make it though! All I have is some shroomwood and metal bits!”
>Also try out the pick, is it any good at cutting shroom wood? Building a shelter you can actually sit up in, as well as a storage box, should be the next goal.
>Not the most ideal land expansion for adding new things, but with more space in the middle you can even build a little house. Not that you know how to build a house!
“I have a house! It’s just not a good house.”
Silv takes her shovel-pick, and hacks away at one of the shroomlogs. Much more efficient than a rock, but doesn’t mean she’s good at it.
x7 shroomplanks.

>Plant the Toxigrowth Fruit and harvest Glowshrooms.
>As we have restored the divot in the crescent, may this recovered land purify the toxifruit, and recover their original and nourishing form.
Silv digs a spot in the ground to bury two of the Toxigrowth Fruits she got. They probably need a lot of water because it was growing in mud before, right? Afterwards, she harvests some of the mushroom patch, and puts it into storage.
x7 glowshrooms added to stash.
Mushroom patch x10
>>
No. 1090747 ID: 1effd3
File 171547634552.png - (62.42KB , 900x750 , 051124_FromNothing81_.png )
1090747

>Food: 1
>Cloth: 1
>Other: Tools
>Other: Ash x2

>Seeking ashes could lead us to fertilizers, steel, weapons, bones, ruins, building materials, food, cookware, alchemy tools and ingredients, a variety of strange runes, secrets of entropy both grand and terrible, and possibly even survivors of fallen world's. To seek ashes is to seek the forgotten embers of the warmest of hearths and hottest of fires. The echos of the most brilliant forges and brutal wars. The violence and power of nature's most awesome mountains and man's most terrible hubris. Ashes whisper the secrets of times long past; They've so much to teach.
>I would have go with seconding ash because everything said there is accurate and i hope we go in the future but ash is likely to destroy anything edible despite the other wonderful discoveries to be made.
After hiding the stash behind the large bricks as usual, Silv activates Dowsing for Ash, grabs her shovel-pick, and heads off into the void.

>Im glad silv got a chance to play, even if it was brief. Not just for the voidlings. For her too.
“It was nice to play around with them. I’d like to do it more, but there’s a lot to do to keep going.”
>>
No. 1090748 ID: 1effd3
File 171547636229.png - (283.62KB , 900x750 , 051124_FromNothing82_Biodome#713.png )
1090748

A strange, domed building sat alongside tall, shattered walls of metal and glass. Metallic tendrils stretch across the landscape to smaller, far more ruined structures. Within the shattered dome, Silv can see smoke rising from within the broken dome.
>>
No. 1090749 ID: 1effd3
File 171547641885.png - (495.53KB , 900x750 , 051124_FromNothing83_.png )
1090749

“What is this place? And what should we do first?”
>>
No. 1090750 ID: 273c18

Looks like some kind of habitat. Check to see if you can get through that door. You might have to break in somewhere else though.
>>
No. 1090752 ID: 8f9bc4

Smoke means fire, and fire means ash!
>>
No. 1090753 ID: eb0a9c

Jackpot.
It's still smoking. Interesting; it must have 'died' recently, but the exact criteria needed for reality to accept this chunk of matter is still beyond us.

Use your magic to clear any traps. You need to sprint through this place; there might still be survivors!
>>
No. 1090755 ID: 031458

Seek the smoke.
Something is still burning, somehow.
Whatever it is will surely surprise us.
>>
No. 1090757 ID: 5ebd37

What's that box next to the door? If it's a control panel then using static might shock it into unlocking.
>>
No. 1090770 ID: 2f41db

This is a good find.
Theres life here despite the fire and ruin.
Fresh growth.

As you pass by the object dug into the ground just spare it a quick glance.
Im wondering whether its a mooring cable of some kind or something more complex.
If its hollow, could be an alternative entrance at the broken points.

The box on the wall seems a promising start though.
>>
No. 1090775 ID: 7c0da2

There is no doors on the smaller domes, which means the tubes are probably how people entered. Of course, now you can also try climbing, but I don't recommend it.
The structure behind the main dome seems distinct from it, it reminds me of the ones we found on the toxic island yesterday, with lots of girders. From the look of it the domes could have been a greenhouse, and the other ruins may have been some kind of habitat, or maybe simply a place to study or process whatever was growing in the greenhouse.

Anyway, for now you should try the door. There is several all around the dome, so if this one doesn't open maybe another will. And be careful not to step on glass shards once you're inside.
>>
No. 1090983 ID: 1effd3
File 171574000230.png - (475.12KB , 900x750 , 051424_FromNothing84_knockknock.png )
1090983

>Smoke means fire, and fire means ash!
>Seek the smoke. Something is still burning, somehow. Whatever it is will surely surprise us.
>This is a good find. Theres life here despite the fire and ruin. Fresh growth.
”I mean that makes sense.”

>As you pass by the object dug into the ground just spare it a quick glance. Im wondering whether its a mooring cable of some kind or something more complex. If its hollow, could be an alternative entrance at the broken points.
>There are no doors on the smaller domes, which means the tubes are probably how people entered. Of course, now you can also try climbing, but I don't recommend it. The structure behind the main dome seems distinct from it, it reminds me of the ones we found on the toxic island yesterday, with lots of girders. From the look of it the domes could have been a greenhouse, and the other ruins may have been some kind of habitat, or maybe simply a place to study or process whatever was growing in the greenhouse.
Silv walks up to the large structure reaching over the landscape towards the dome. It appears to be made from very solid metal, with no obvious points of entry. It sounds hollow, but the echo is very dull. The walls behind the large dome have their edges torn and warped, likely by whatever caused this place to reside here. Silv begins walking down the path towards the dome.
>>
No. 1090984 ID: 1effd3
File 171574006696.png - (142.85KB , 900x750 , 051424_FromNothing85_BadSecurity.png )
1090984

>Looks like some kind of habitat. Check to see if you can get through that door. You might have to break in somewhere else though.
>Anyway, for now you should try the door.
Silv arrives at the dome and examines the door. It’s metal, heavy, and she can’t find a handle anywhere. Who designs a door like this?!

>What's that box next to the door? If it's a control panel then using static might shock it into unlocking.
>The box on the wall seems a promising start though.
“Control panel? This thing?”
She moves to the side of the door, where there's a slab of black glass. On it is a symbol that looks sort of similar to the Static rune, where she places her hand.
“Static!”

Electrical sparks jump from Silvs hand into the glass slab. The door flickers to life, and painfully creaks open.
>>
No. 1090985 ID: 1effd3
File 171574010596.png - (955.40KB , 900x750 , 051424_FromNothing86_PrettyPlants.png )
1090985

The inside of the ruined dome is quite different to its outside. Trees and plants flourish here with an array of colors unlike anywhere you’ve been so far. Streams flow with clean water. The air smells clean, except for the faint scent of smoke and ash.
>>
No. 1090986 ID: 1effd3
File 171574012305.png - (350.49KB , 900x750 , 051424_FromNothing87_BetterSecurity.png )
1090986

...Oh, and also some plants are pointing spears at you.
>>
No. 1090987 ID: eb0a9c

YES! Survivors!
Use a gale rune to knock them away, then get to cover! We'll work on communicating with them, just hang tight!
<Attention, unknown entities! We would prefer to stand down from hostilities and enter an alliance! We know the basics of where you have ended up, and the most important thing you need to know is that giant monsters look for big
places with stuff and then eat all the big places
! Please respond!>
>>
No. 1090989 ID: 5ebd37

Just back up out the door, then try talking to them.
>>
No. 1090993 ID: 2f41db

>>1090985
My word its beautif-
>>1090986
EEEK!

No sudden movements.
Try to communicate passivity and friendliness.
Theyre plants.
How do you talk to plants?
Quick!
Photosynthasize at them!
.
Scratch that.
Do the first thing with body language.
>>
No. 1090998 ID: 273c18

>>1090986
Those don't look like very effective spears. How tough is your exoskeleton?
Just try talking to the plants for now, and if that doesn't work, you could try... giving them some water? Or have us give the sticks a smack to discourage uppity vegitation.
>>
No. 1090999 ID: a7a180

Chopsticks? Why, you shouldn't have.
Time to eat!
>>
No. 1091005 ID: 861ceb

wait, which of the flowers are pointing sticks at you?
>>
No. 1091006 ID: 7c0da2

It's very pretty in here. It's so colorful compared to outside. Be careful not to step on any flowers.
The static symbol on the door panel is interesting. It seems whoever built this place knew about runes and how to use them.

>>1090998
Oh, yeah, good idea (except the smacking part, please don't). They're plant, they'd probably like having more water. In fact, you could even make them a pond with a Stream rune.
Anyway, be nice to the local flora, talk to them, make it clear you are not a voidling here to eat everything. If they don't seem to understand you, maybe sing at them? How good are you at miming?
>>
No. 1091110 ID: 02a379

Flare for self defence?
>>
No. 1091131 ID: b0aae4

>>1091110
That'd burn everything and everyone. Maybe us too.
>>
No. 1091133 ID: 8f9bc4

Tell them you're just here for the ash, not their delicious juicy fruits! You have no interest in their mouth-watering, tempting, succulent flesh!
>>
No. 1091231 ID: 1effd3
File 171605480484.png - (290.84KB , 900x750 , 051824_FromNothing88_AngryAngryPlants.png )
1091231

Plants of many different appearances point wooden spears and plant spikes towards Silv, clearly not happy with her presence here.

>Just back up out the door, then try talking to them.
>My word its beautif- EEEK! No sudden movements. Try to communicate passivity and friendliness. Theyre plants. How do you talk to plants? Quick! Photosynthasize at them! Scratch that. Do the first thing with body language.
>Just try talking to the plants for now, and if that doesn't work, you could try... giving them some water? Or have us give the sticks a smack to discourage uppity vegitation.
>Oh, yeah, good idea (except the smacking part, please don't). They're plant, they'd probably like having more water. In fact, you could even make them a pond with a Stream rune.
Anyway, be nice to the local flora, talk to them, make it clear you are not a voidling here to eat everything. If they don't seem to understand you, maybe sing at them? How good are you at miming?
Silv slowly begins to walk backwards towards the door, the hostile plants slowly following her. ”I-I’m not here to cause you harm! I’m just here to explore!” she stammers, trying not to aggravate the plants further.

>Tell them you're just here for the ash, not their delicious juicy fruits!
”I don’t think that they understand me!”
Silv continues back towards the door, trying any sort of body language to calm down the plants. It doesn’t seem like it’s working, and it looks like they might attack soon.
>>
No. 1091232 ID: 1effd3
File 171605482219.png - (148.47KB , 900x375 , 051824_FromNothing89_Standoff.png )
1091232

>Flare for self defence?
>That'd burn everything and everyone. Maybe us too.
”I smell smoke, so they should know what fire is. If I hold it in front of me, maybe it’ll keep them away?”
“Flare!”
Silv creates a mote of fire in her hand, and points it towards the plants, causing them to stop instantly in their approach. Silv and the plants continue their standoff, before the plants start chittering amongst themselves. Silv has no idea what they’re talking about, but it sounds… hopeful? Several break off and head deeper into the overgrowth, leaving the others to continue pointing their spears. At least they don’t seem as angry as before?

After a short bit, one of the plants that had run off previously returns, and chitters something to the others, who in turn, lower their weapons. It then gestures and chitters towards Silv to follow them into the overgrowth.
“They don’t seem like they’re going to attack me for now, and I think they wan’t us to follow them? Do we follow them Tetsi?”, Silv says, extinguishing the Flare in her hand.
>>
No. 1091233 ID: 5b2941

>>1091232
diplomacy! let's see what they want
>>
No. 1091234 ID: eb0a9c

Yeah. You're here early, you've got time before a titan-class voidling eats this place.

Your primary objective is to inform this tribe of the impending danger. Even if they don't join you, they need to be ready to defend their home.
>>
No. 1091246 ID: 273c18

Yeah let's see what they want.
>>
No. 1091248 ID: 8f9bc4

That's the last reaction I expected. Go see what this is about!
>>
No. 1091249 ID: 5ebd37

Well this seems promising, don't agree to be part of any quests or prophecies until you learn the language though.
>>
No. 1091255 ID: 861ceb

SCAN THEM MY LIEGE!
>>
No. 1091262 ID: 2f41db

>>1091232
Theyre kinda cute when you look closer.
And theyre not threatening with spears.

I say follow.
Theyre the first non voidlings youve met and thats important.
They may have insights to share if you can find a way to bridge the language gap.

Even if you cant, its still company of a sorts.
The void is just that little less empty now.
>>
No. 1091421 ID: 1effd3
File 171625162135.png - (243.24KB , 900x750 , 052024_FromNothing90_Florafolk.png )
1091421

>diplomacy! let's see what they want
>Yeah let's see what they want.
>That's the last reaction I expected. Go see what this is about!
>Well this seems promising, don't agree to be part of any quests or prophecies until you learn the language though.
>Theyre kinda cute when you look closer. And theyre not threatening with spears. I say follow.
Theyre the first non voidlings youve met and thats important. They may have insights to share if you can find a way to bridge the language gap. Even if you cant, its still company of a sorts. The void is just that little less empty now.
”It is nice to…talk to someone? Not really sure what we’re doing counts as talking, but I definitely appreciate being able to interact with someone.”
Silv follows the plants deeper in, continuously trying to talk to them to try to make sense of what they say. They seem to understand each others “intention”, but not words. Charades does help.

>SCAN THEM MY LIEGE!
”Oh that's a good idea.”

Florafolk
Plants capable of complex thought, the Florafolk are a young species created a long time ago by forgotten hands. Obviously, weak to fire.
Primary Runic Affinity: Nature.

”Runic Affinity? That hasn’t shown up before.”
Before Silv can think anymore on it, she and the Florafolk have reached what appears to be their village.
>>
No. 1091422 ID: 1effd3
File 171625164234.png - (653.23KB , 900x750 , 052024_FromNothing91_Leader.png )
1091422

The village is small, but many Florafolk are running about. There are several piles of junk on the outskirts, with several Nature runes in them. Under the large tree in the village center they are heading towards, several Florafolk seem to have been burned, under the care of others.. Also under this tree is a larger, older looking Florafolk with a spear with a charred end. Seems like they may be the leader here.

“Chregikkerk? Chrattikerk?” they ask.

“...Sorry, I don’t know what you’re saying…”, she says scratching her head.

Silv and the Florafolk leader spend a while trying out different methods of communicating. With the help of the younger Florafolk, they manage to figure out that having the Florafolk draw is the easiest method for communication.
>>
No. 1091423 ID: 1effd3
File 171625165865.png - (573.19KB , 900x750 , 052024_FromNothing92_MasterArtist.png )
1091423

The Florafolk leader takes its burnt speartip and begins drawing their story. They draw some florafolk-like shapes with their spears, next to some symbols, and some black blobs. They then draw a hole with florafolk throwing the blobs and symbols into it.

“You were… hunting voidlings because they were eating your plants? And disposed of the runes and voidmatter into a hole?”

The leader nods their head, and begins drawing again. The next scene they draw shows the hole again, surrounded by florafolk with spears, fighting against some sort of creature.

“A monster showed up, and you fought it?”

The leader resumes drawing once more, showing fire between the florafolk and the monster. They then gesture towards the burned florafolk under the tree with them.

“You were unable to beat it, and you turned to the most dangerous weapon you could think of, fire?”

The leader once again nods, and points it's burned spear towards Silv and Tetsi, then once again towards the symbol of fire in the dirt.

“You want us to fight it?”

The leader bows their head low to the ground, asking for their aid.

Silv twiddles her thumbs, unsure what to do.
“I’d hate to not help them, but we’ve never fought a monster before…“What should we do Tetsi?”
>>
No. 1091424 ID: 0db8d3

Let's fight! It might be a first for us, but we have magic to both dish out and deal with violence. Plus, it sounds like there could be a TON of runes down there!
>>
No. 1091427 ID: eb0a9c

This would explain where the larger void beasts come from. If at least one of them survived in the hole, only to be showered with a diet of runes and other void beast corpses...

The Florafolk are oblivious to what they have created. That void beast could potentially be tamed, giving them an endless source of greater runes to maintain their little world. Now that they've angered it, you may be forced to kill it.

Try to offer resources and materials to the boss monster, but if it fights, hold nothing back.

Either way, you'll want to experiment in the future with other voidlings and runes, see if you can replicate the metamorphosis while keeping the ex-voidling tamed.

Also, you should make sure your voidlings don't kill each other down the line. Now that we have evidence of potential predation, we should really make sure they learn their 'siblings' are not food, mostly with shock therapy every time one of them bites another.
>>
No. 1091438 ID: 8f9bc4

Odd, if it is a monstrous voidling, they obviously sent it flying off already, so why are they worried about it coming back? Is it still here, somewhere? Then why isn't it tearing up the island like that other giant voidling you saw?

Voidlings can die, and you can get some good runes from them, so I say fight it. These plant people need help. And you're totally not going to chew hungrily on their fronds.
>>
No. 1091443 ID: 5ebd37

Lets not get ahead of ourselves. If the thing is still here lets observe it from a distance first.

You should do some practice with flare before attempting combat. Alternatively with flare as an infinite source of flame you might try constructing something that throws burning objects. Perhaps a sling or catapult.
>>
No. 1091451 ID: 210c4f

Well the first thing you probably want to do is find the beast and scout it out to see if it’s something you can actually fight. Then decide if you should fight it or not.
>>
No. 1091454 ID: 273c18

>>1091423
Sure, let's try to fight it. First thing you should do though is go outside and practice some combat moves. Like, throwing around rocks and fire. Hmm, I wonder if now would be a good time to start combining runes to see if you can make something with pure combat applications? Oh, what's our spell list now? I know we have Flare, Tremor, Stream, Breeze, Static, Recovery, and Lesser Blast. Am I forgetting any?

Try out Lesser Blast in an empty space outside, to see exactly what it does. That might be our big gun, or we might have to combine the blast rune with something to make it more offensive. We could also try combining Static with another rune to make a stronger lightning spell? Hmm, Static and Breeze maybe? Did we ever combine Breeze and Stream to make a cloudy/foggy spell? That and Static should make a stormy rune, which could perform like a long range lightning attack. If the enemy they're fighting is a robot, and I suspect it is, then we're going to need lightning.
>>
No. 1091462 ID: 184595

Do not discount your bravery, Runelearner--you have indeed fought with monsters before, and lived to tell of it. Have you forgotten your battles with the corrupted voidlings? You've displayed your mettle there, and have grown even stronger since. You have no reason to fear whatever beast has cowed this people. And should it prove to be voidling kin, then you have now more experience than anyone else in handling them. If the thing can be tamed, then you, if anyone can tame it. Agree to confront the menace; you will be able to do them a favor one way or another.

It is only now that you have come into possession of the Nature rune. Having learned it, perhaps you can now identify which things fall under its aegis. Allow them to see this rune, and judge their reaction to it.
>>
No. 1091465 ID: 80c73b

Tame it, or drive it off, or kill it, or run away, in approximately that order
>>
No. 1091466 ID: 273c18

>>1091462
Counterpoint: we could have a lot of reasons to fear whatever it is, depending on what it is.

Oh I guess we should hold off on combining runes until we see what it is. It's not currently attacking the settlement which implies it is not chasing down anyone it sees so we should be able to look at it and then decide how to fight it without being forced to fight immediately.
>>
No. 1091474 ID: 2f41db

>>1091423
The monster...
I think they accidentally created it.
Some kind of voidling amalgam beast.

I say fight.
They need help and you, silv, are more powerful than you may feel at times.
You've found friends in this lonely void.
Cant leave them to their fate now.

Besides...
The rewards will be plentiful from the runes they threw in
However, fire may not be the answer.
To them it is the ultimate weapon but thats a subjective position.

So, cautious approach.
Find where it is and see if we can land a scan first.
The pit may be a good starting point.
>>
No. 1091697 ID: 1effd3
File 171658772696.png - (349.78KB , 900x750 , 052424_FromNothing93_.png )
1091697

>Fight for the Florafolk!
”Ok, let's do it!”
“Sir, we're going to do our best to help you and your people.”
The leader florafolk raises their head and chitters something neither of you understand, but assumedly it’s a “thank you”. They then gesture in a way that suggests if Silv needs anything.

>Lets not get ahead of ourselves. If the thing is still here lets observe it from a distance first.
>Well the first thing you probably want to do is find the beast and scout it out to see if it’s something you can actually fight.
>>1091462
>Counterpoint: we could have a lot of reasons to fear whatever it is, depending on what it is.
>So, cautious approach. Find where it is and see if we can land a scan first. The pit may be a good starting point.
“Can you show us the monster?” Silv asks, pointing at the drawing and making a binocular shape with her hands on her head. The florafolk leader taps its spear on the ground several times and mimics Silvs gesture, implying that the monster is aggressive towards whatever it sees. Perhaps scanning it after other preparations is best.

> First thing you should do though is go outside and practice some combat moves.
Silv lets the florafolk leader know that she wants to begin preparing, and that she’d like to practice. The leader draws again, letting Silv know she can, and that the village is open to her to explore. She bows to the leader, and begins to head outside the dome to practice her magic.
>>
No. 1091698 ID: 1effd3
File 171658775135.png - (502.82KB , 900x750 , 052424_FromNothing94_LittleWatcher.png )
1091698

>The monster… I think they accidentally created it. Some kind of voidling amalgam beast.
>This would explain where the larger void beasts come from. If at least one of them survived in the hole, only to be showered with a diet of runes and other void beast corpses… The Florafolk are oblivious to what they have created. That void beast could potentially be tamed, giving them an endless source of greater runes to maintain their little world. Now that they've angered it, you may be forced to kill it.
“We don’t know how voidlings do the things that they do, but maybe you're right? Maybe raw voidmatter awakens as new voidlings?”
“...I have voidmatter in my stash. If it does become a new voidling, that’s bad.”

Silv gets outside the dome, and looks for a suitably grass-free area to practice her magic.
>Oh, what's our spell list now? I know we have Flare, Tremor, Stream, Breeze, Static, Recovery, and Lesser Blast. Am I forgetting any?
“Nope, that’s all the spells I know currently. We’re tried all of them except for Recovery, I should probably do that.”
Silv casts Recovery, and her hands give off a faint warm light. She has no idea how effective it is because there's nothing to heal around her at the moment!

Silv begins to practice her other magic as well; here is the breakdown of her current spells:

Flare creates a small ball of fire in her hand that she has to throw.
Tremor takes any nearby ground/stone Silv focuses on and levitates it. Limited if the ground is restrained in some way.
Stream produces a small flow of water with very little pressure.
Breeze generates a very light gust of wind. Enough to kick up a little dust but not much else.
Static covers Silvs hand with weak electricity.
Lesser Blast causes a small blastwave directed from Silv. Not strong, but point-blank would hurt
Recovery heals assumedly! Can’t really test it without an injured target.

What should Silv do next?
-Practice More
-Explore the Village
-Other?
>>
No. 1091699 ID: 5b2941

>>1091698
>Recovery heals assumedly! Can’t really test it without an injured target.
weren't there burned florafolk around?
>>
No. 1091709 ID: 2f41db

>>1091699
Scorched trees too.

Test recovery, but practice afterwards.
Once we kmow what you can heal, that can inform how risky we want to be with our spells.
>>
No. 1091711 ID: 861ceb

probably get a bit more practice in and also one of the plant folk are watching you from behind a rock.
>>
No. 1091712 ID: 273c18

Tremor still kinda seems like our best offensive tool, unless something is particularly vulnerable to fire. I guess we could shock something with static, maybe use stream to make the target wet first, but it's weak electricity so it won't deal a lot of damage to most things.

Heal some of the plantfolk. Then I guess practice throwing flare, since you haven't thrown it much before and thus might need to work on your aim.
>>
No. 1091739 ID: 0db8d3

Let's explore a bit, maybe find a couple runes.
We should combine something with blast to make a stronger spell to take this thing on. Probably Blast blast, blast flare, or blast Harm me thinks.
>>
No. 1091746 ID: 5ebd37

>>1091699
Look around and see if there are any injured you could try helping. Burned plant life would be a good first test.
>>
No. 1091749 ID: 8f9bc4

>>1091698

raw voidmatter awakens as new voidlings, when you combine it with runes. They were also tossing runes into that pit, as they don't seem to have a runelearner to use them.
>>
No. 1091952 ID: 1effd3
File 171692236709.png - (376.68KB , 900x750 , 052824_FromNothing95_LitterWatcher2.png )
1091952

>Test Recovery on the burned Florafolk first.
>weren't there burned florafolk around?
>Scorched trees too. Test recovery, but practice afterwards. Once we kmow what you can heal, that can inform how risky we want to be with our spells.
“Oh, you’re right! Recovery should hopefully work on the florafolk. We should head back to check.”

>Let's explore a bit, maybe find a couple runes. We should combine something with blast to make a stronger spell to take this thing on. Probably Blast blast, blast flare, or blast Harm me thinks.
“There were some junk piles in the village that had some runes in them, I’m sure they won’t mind if we take them.”

>also one of the plant folk are watching you from behind a rock.
Silv looks around as she heads back towards the florafolk village, and spots the florafolk watching her. They hide behind rocks and trees as she turns around, but still sees them peeking from their hiding spots. Looks like Silv’s got a fan.
>>
No. 1091953 ID: 1effd3
File 171692240872.png - (469.88KB , 900x750 , 052824_FromNothing96_LayonHands.png )
1091953

>raw voidmatter awakens as new voidlings, when you combine it with runes. They were also tossing runes into that pit, as they don't seem to have a runelearner to use them.
Returning to the village, SIlv goes to check out the junk piles. They mostly consist of dead wood and leaves, but there are a considerable amount of runes in them as well.
x9 Nature runes obtained.
“They likely don’t know anything about runes and how they work. Honestly, I don’t know much about them either. Something about them does feel… familiar somehow. Like I’ve learned something similar before…”, Silv says, before her attention is drawn towards the burned florafolk, lightly whimpering in pain.
“Let’s go Tetsi, and see how effective Recovery is!”

It is, in fact, not very effective. Recovery does heal the florafolk, but the process is very slow, and Silv is exhausted by the time she’s finished healing. It is definitely not a spell that is “combat efficient”. The florafolk are very happy however.
>>
No. 1091954 ID: 1effd3
File 171692243168.png - (337.09KB , 900x750 , 052824_FromNothing97_sleepytime.png )
1091954

>Tremor still kinda seems like our best offensive tool, unless something is particularly vulnerable to fire. I guess we could shock something with static, maybe use stream to make the target wet first, but it's weak electricity so it won't deal a lot of damage to most things. Then I guess practice throwing flare, since you haven't thrown it much before and thus might need to work on your aim.

After resting for a while, Silv heads back outside the dome to practice her magic. Flares get thrown, and rocks get tossed, and she gets tired VERY quickly.
“Why am I so tired…? Is it mana depletion…? I…need a nap…”

“...Wait, what’s mana depletion…?”
>>
No. 1091955 ID: 1effd3
File 171692245192.png - (201.12KB , 900x750 , 052824_FromNothing98_aForgottenMemory.png )
1091955

”--you casted too much Silv. Mana Depletion is when ██ individual's mana is drained to the point ██ near-zero. This was █▚█▟█ to be your next lesson, but it seems someone █▟█ impatient.”

”...Sorry █▟█▚██…”

”Do not worry about it little one. Rest. Tomorrow ██ continue your lessons with █▟▚█–”
>>
No. 1091956 ID: 1effd3
File 171692246592.png - (355.70KB , 900x750 , 052824_FromNothing99_.png )
1091956

“...”
>>
No. 1091957 ID: 5b2941

>>1091956
Hm. Silv? you got a little something on your face.
>>
No. 1091969 ID: 5ebd37

careful, don't spook them.

Also are you feeling... blue?
>>
No. 1091979 ID: 2f41db

>>1091956
We saw it too silv.

Fragmented memory but real.
Obscured but not lost.

Maybe recoverable if...
No.
Not important right now.

Say.
Your new friend is feeling a bit more brave.
You two resting like that,.its kinda sweet.

Say hello softly. Or by gesture.
Let them know youre fine with them.
>>
No. 1091995 ID: 9bbb0e

If using too many spells will get you sick, you need a way to store spells for later. Do you still have any of those water bottles?

You could try applying a Potion Rune to it while casting a spell to store the magic in potion form.
>>
No. 1091998 ID: 5b2941

it might actually be a good idea to use a rune here instead of your island to make a healing zone. That way both you and the burned florafolk have a place to regenerate without you having to actively cast. Also, maybe fuse Life+Life? an unstable but more powerful healing effect might be a good thing.
>>
No. 1092001 ID: 273c18

>>1091956
Are you ok?
>>
No. 1092002 ID: 56db77

>>1091956
Pet the puny plant person
>>
No. 1092005 ID: b09d4a

They have marked you with their scent and have claimed you as their own.
>>
No. 1092184 ID: 7c1f1c

Altering this island's landmass is something that should be undertaken only with the knowledge and approval of its permanent residents. I'm sure such a thing will not be an issue, given how readily we see them warming to our presence, and once you've vanquished the source of their fear one way or another, they'll be doubtless only more glad to supply you with such approval. But at the moment, there are more pressing issues, that require as much mana as we can muster. It is good now that we understand its limits; let us survey the place the foe is known to dwell.
>>
No. 1092317 ID: 1effd3
File 171737414642.png - (148.87KB , 900x750 , 060224_FromNothing100_patpat.png )
1092317

>Hm. Silv? you got a little something on your face.
>Also are you feeling... blue?
>Are you ok?
“Huh? Am I… crying? Who was that? Why… can’t I remember?”

>We saw it too Silv. Fragmented memory but real. Obscured but not lost.
“A memory? Is that what it was? I wish I could remember more… How long have I been sleeping?”

>Your new friend is feeling a bit more brave. You two resting like that,.its kinda sweet. Say hello softly. Or by gesture. Let them know youre fine with them.
>They have marked you with their scent and have claimed you as their own.
>Pet the puny plant person
Silv looks down to see the small florafolk sitting by her side, and lightly pats them on the head.

“Hi there little guy, how are you doing?”

The florafolk chitters happily. Good sign.

“We should return to the village, shouldn't we?”

More chitters.

>If using too many spells will get you sick, you need a way to store spells for later. Do you still have any of those water bottles? You could try applying a Potion Rune to it while casting a spell to store the magic in potion form.
”I forgot my bottles at home, all I have with me is runes and some cooked glowshrooms. Oops!
Silv proceeds to eat 3 cooked glowshrooms, and offers one to the small florafolk, who accepts.
>>
No. 1092318 ID: 1effd3
File 171737416433.png - (242.22KB , 900x750 , 060224_FromNothing101_BeastRune.png )
1092318

>it might actually be a good idea to use a rune here instead of your island to make a healing zone. That way both you and the burned florafolk have a place to regenerate without you having to actively cast. Also, maybe fuse Life+Life? an unstable but more powerful healing effect might be a good thing.
>Altering this island's landmass is something that should be undertaken only with the knowledge and approval of its permanent residents. I'm sure such a thing will not be an issue, given how readily we see them warming to our presence, and once you've vanquished the source of their fear one way or another, they'll be doubtless only more glad to supply you with such approval. But at the moment, there are more pressing issues, that require as much mana as we can muster. It is good now that we understand its limits; let us survey the place the foe is known to dwell.
“I don’t know how to make a healing zone here. Back home we have the circle of stones you have to be on for us to use runes on the island, and I don’t know if this place has anything like that. I’m… also not confident in my abilities yet… I can see if fusing two life runes creates anything though.”
The little florafolk watches in amazement as Silv combines runes!

Life+Life: Success
The combination of Life and Life created a new rune! Silv discovered
Beast Rune obtained!

“Beast? Like animals? What do you think?”, Silv asks the florafolk.

“Chrittr?”

“...You probably don’t have animals here…”
“We should head back now Tetsi. I think I’m ready for this.”
Silv begins heading towards the florafolk village, with the small one following close behind.

It is almost time to fight the monster, are you and SIlv ready?
>>
No. 1092319 ID: 273c18

>>1092318
Ready as we'll ever be.
>>
No. 1092320 ID: 861ceb

can't really think of anything else we can do to prepare.
>>
No. 1092323 ID: 5ebd37

You can do it Silv!
>>
No. 1092324 ID: 7c1f1c

Bring it on
>>
No. 1092334 ID: eb0a9c

Before you start, let's set up a unique marker that our Dowsing can quickly locate, so we can come back to this island later.
>>
No. 1092338 ID: ec502a

>>1092318
Some backup weapons would be a good idea, even just some simple javalins to slow it down if things go bad
>>
No. 1092344 ID: 2f41db

>>1092318
Ready and eager to help, silv.

Need to get your new friend somewhere safe first.
Cant risk them following you into danger.
Theyre curious, bold and smart.
One day you may find yourself teaching rune and magic to someone like that.
>>
No. 1092348 ID: 9bbb0e

>>1092338
Good idea. Our spells are still pretty basic, so chasing out a Void Behemoth is a daunting task.
>>
No. 1092657 ID: 1effd3
File 171789147812.png - (470.72KB , 900x750 , 060824_FromNothing102_.png )
1092657

>Before you start, let's set up a unique marker that our Dowsing can quickly locate, so we can come back to this island later.
“I’m pretty Dowsing only has one marker, and it’s currently set on our island. I could try dowsing for ‘florafolk’, but that might be too specific.”

>Ready and eager to help!
>Bring it on!
>Ready as we'll ever be.
The florafolk village is busy with many members grabbing sharpened sticks and rocks for the upcoming fight. They gather around the leader, who seems to be waiting for you.

>Some backup weapons would be a good idea, even just some simple javalins to slow it down if things go bad.
>Good idea. Our spells are still pretty basic, so chasing out a Void Behemoth is a daunting task.
”I think the florafolk have the spears for that. Also, I’ve got the shovel!”

>Need to get your new friend somewhere safe first. Cant risk them following you into danger. Theyre curious, bold and smart. One day you may find yourself teaching rune and magic to someone like that.
“I don’t think I’d be able to teach them anything… I don’t remember much about myself, or know much about magic and runes… Where did they go anyway?”
Looking around, you see the small florafolk has joined in the gathering around the leader. Looks like you don’t have to worry about them too much.

Silv approaches the florafolk leader, who has been waiting patiently for her arrival.

“I’m ready. Where is the monster?”

The leader chitters to the many florafolk with spears, and points deeper into the woods. They nod, and begin tugging at Silv to follow them.
>>
No. 1092658 ID: 1effd3
File 171789150237.png - (462.13KB , 900x750 , 060824_FromNothing103_PreludeToFight.png )
1092658

After a short bit of walking, the florafolk go quiet and start walking more cautiously. They point towards a clearing behind the bushes just ahead.

”It’s right up ahead?”
The florafolk nod. They begin moving into position, while Silv creeps closer to get a better look into the clearing.
There isn’t much in the clearing, but this seems to be where the florafolk fought the monster last, guessing by the patches of ash and charcoal scattered around. There's a large pile of plants and debris in the center, but there's no clear sign of-

!
“Wait…!”
>>
No. 1092659 ID: 1effd3
Audio Bonus_-_Wind_Of_Battle_Looped.mp3 - (3.20MB )
1092659

>>
No. 1092665 ID: 1effd3
 

The pile of debris stirs!

“Identify!”

Nature Runeling
The result when Voidlings consume runes, something they cannot process under normal means. A great number of Nature runes are stuck inside it, and it has assimilated the Nature around it, mutating into this monstrous form. Very dangerous.
Primary Runic Affinity: Nature. Secondary: Unknown.

“Ah. Fire.”

The Runeling lets out a loud screech. It definitely knows you’re here!

“How should we handle this Tetsi?”
>>
No. 1092667 ID: 273c18

Wait, it eats runes? Maybe we can give it a really unstable rune. Mix up a blast+blast and throw it at it? It's a little risky since we don't know how long the unstable rune will last before exploding, so let's save that for a last ditch effort.

For now, use Tremor to lift up something to hide behind and start throwing Flare at it.
>>
No. 1092668 ID: 2f41db

>>1092665
Keep distance at first.
Ranging shots to get an eye in.
Learn how far it can reach or respond to your attacks.


(That animation was a wonderful idea and a great touch)
>>
No. 1092670 ID: 5ebd37

At least it seems rooted in place. Keep your distance and lets see how much damage a flame will do.
>>
No. 1092695 ID: 8f9bc4

Maybe Eldritch could be of some use? Does the inversion of a rune cancel it out? I wonder what eldritch blast would do...
>>
No. 1092700 ID: 9bbb0e

>>1092665
If the runes are stuck inside of it, maybe you could knock them loose somehow.
The blast rune >>1092667 suggested as a grenade could work, either for that or for damage. We could try throwing it and detonating it with a Fire spell.
Otherwise, getting the runes inside loose would require getting pretty close, so we'd need to weaken it first. Fire spell on its own isn't very potent or far reaching, but maybe you could give some braver florafolk flaming javelins.
>>
No. 1092702 ID: 861ceb

wander if throwing fire in it's mouth will light up the nature runes inside it?
>>
No. 1092705 ID: eb0a9c

You're dealing with a wild animal. You need to attempt to defuse the aggression but simultaneously prepare your counterattack. If it lunges, combine a gale and fire rune. Try every rune in your inventory, see how it reacts and you can work out a strategy to kite it.
>>
No. 1092726 ID: 7c0da2

No need to rush. You should try to find out its secondary runic affinity. I'm assuming you can't Identify what it is because you don't know that rune yet, but maybe we can deduce the combination that created it. Do you sense something familiar about it, something that feels a bit like a rune you know ? Given all the Nature runes lying around that second affinity could be the result of Nature + Something.
The florafolk tried fire already, but it doesn't mean you can't try lobbing some fireballs at it too, from a safe distance. Try to determine its reach and mobility before going in, it's important that you stay safe.
>>
No. 1092758 ID: 7c1f1c

The thing has seen you, but you do not know that it has decided you are threatening to it. The Florafolk may have worked against our end by antagonizing it previously, but fight only if you must. We know you have precious little mana with which to win the day, and any blow avoided is ammunition for later.

You know the runes the Florafolk are ignorant of; is it possible to summon the runes inside of the creature to yourself, and thus dislodge them, ending their influence? An endeavor to reverse the mutation may prove the quickest way to victory. Plying the creature with the inverse rune of its mutation is a tactic well worth an attempt.
>>
No. 1092933 ID: 1effd3

Next update will be slow, who knew figuring out how to animate in a week would make you so tired?

Also, we have a Wiki!
https://questden.org/wiki/From_Nothing

Will try to have update in the next week or two.
>>
No. 1092935 ID: 9bbb0e

>>1092933
Learning to animate just for the quest. That's some huge effortposting, salute to you.
322 posts omitted. Last 100 shown. [Return] [Entire Thread] [Last 50 posts] [Last 100 posts]

Delete post []
Password  
Report post
Reason